Sweet Memories

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Palm Sunday of the Lord’s Passion (A)


The word "passion" has powerful implications. Theologically, we use it to describe the suffering love that Jesus had for each of us when he was beaten, mocked and crucified.

The world counterfeits this word by applying it to strong feelings of romantic, even lustful, attraction.

We also use it to refer to a strong motivation to do something that we enjoy or greatly care about, and this is why we can say that Jesus cared "passionately" about us while enduring The Passion.

The strong love that Jesus exhibited in his ministry and on Good Friday is a lesson on what it means to have "compassion" for others: We walk with them in their sufferings, we "suffer with". It's passionate love in it's holiest form.

Read the scriptures for Passion Sunday with an eye on how much they reveal Jesus' passionate love for you.

See yourself in the passion of the people who enthusiastically welcomed Jesus and in those who rejected and denied him.

Consider how much compassion Jesus must have had for you when he willingly subjected himself to the excruciating pains of his final hours, despite how much you've hurt him.

Reflect & Discuss:

1. Looking at the reading from Isaiah, how have you beaten on Jesus, plucked his beard, and spit on him, even while he was ministering to you?

2. How does your answer to #1 explain why Jesus emptied himself for you, as the reading from Philippians describes?

3. Identify the ways you've emptied yourself for others. In what ways does the Passion of Jesus minister to you in your own sufferings?

Question for the Journey:

For participating in the Triduum (Holy Thursday, Good Friday, and the quiet tomb of Holy Saturday), bring to mind the most painful way you are suffering compassionately with someone else. Connect this to what Jesus did and to his sufferings. How does this help you feel more intimately involved with God's salvation plan? How does it make your life a modern Gospel?


************************************************

Hello, I’m Franciscan Father Greg Friedman, with the "Sunday Soundbite" for Palm Sunday of the Lord's Passion.

Some years ago, I saw an exhibit of paintings by Monet. Seeing a lifetime of work by that artist, rather than viewing one isolated painting, helped me appreciate the larger context of Monet's artistry.

And this Sunday context is important at Mass as we hear Matthew's account of the passion of Jesus. Matthew wrote for both Jewish and Gentile converts to Christianity, and drew on the Old Testament for his story of Jesus the Suffering Servant. His audience would understand the larger context: Jesus fulfills the promises God made to the chosen people.

Unfortunately, some Christians in later centuries used Matthew's words as a reason to charge all the Jews of Christ's time, or even Jews of later generations, with his death. Matthew's language often doesn't help, for example, when the crowds ask that Jesus' "blood be upon us and our children." This antagonistic tone may reflect a real hostility between Matthew's community (living 40 or 50 years after Christ), and the Jewish community of the time which did not accept Jesus.

But there's no excuse for anti-Semitism. Pope John Paul has urged an end to the hatred and misunderstanding between Christians and Jews. You and I can help foster such reconciliation by a careful—and prayerful—reading of the passion narratives.

Scripture:

•:The Lord GOD is my help, therefore I am not disgraced; I have set my face like flint, knowing that I shall not be put to shame. (Isaiah 50:7)

•:Indeed, many dogs surround me, a pack of evildoers closes in upon me; They have pierced my hands and my feet; I can count all my bones. (Psalm 22:17,18)

•:Rather, he emptied himself, taking the form of a slave, coming in human likeness; and found human in appearance, he humbled himself, becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. (Philippians 2:7,8)

•:Then he took a cup, gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you, for this is my blood of the covenant, which will be shed on behalf of many for the forgiveness of sins.…” (Matthew 26:27,8)

Reflection:

Only a few more days and Holy Thursday, Good Friday, Holy Saturday and Easter are here. Take some time before the Triduum begins to consider your Lenten experience. Consider how it started and how it ended and your Lenten journey. You have changed but in what way? It may be subtle but often a subtle difference in prayer, meditation or outlook may be the most profound. Take this small change and consider how to grow with it. Take some time to share in the liturgies on Thursday and Friday. Then take some time on Saturday before the Easter Liturgies are celebrated. Nothing happens on Saturday until the Easter Vigil. The sanctuary is empty. Take this last opportunity to stay in the emptiness of Lent to meditate one last time on your Lenten journey. Give the Lord the empty time to speak to you. Afterwards await the fullness of the resurrection and the Easter season where a different growth occurs.

Prayer:

God has created me to do Him some definite service: He has committed some work to me which he has not committed to another. I have my mission—I may never know it in this life, but I shall be told of it in the next. I am a link in a chain, a bond of connection between persons. He has not created me for naught. I shall do good. I shall do his work. I shall be an angel of peace, a preacher of truth in my own place, while not intending it, if I but keep His commandments. Therefore I will trust in God.

No comments: