Sweet Memories

Saturday, December 29, 2007

Eulogy for David - Michael, Robert and Christine

This was read out by Fr David's sister Christine during the funeral mass on 18th December 2007...

"Three words to describe my brother - quiet determination, love and kindness.....

18 years ago when my brother told us he wanted to become a priest, it came as a shock to us.
But we knew in our hearts that if he wanted to do something then it was meant to be. That's the
way I will always remember my brother. Someone with quiet determination, integrity, and strong beliefs. When he put his mind to something you know he would carry it through. He started his priesthood journey in New York 17 years ago and he never told us about his hardship and suffering during those early days. We found out through his preachings and through his friends.

The Neo-Catechumenal way was something new to us back then but it was work he loved to do and he persevered because of his love for God. Love is another trait of my brother that I will always remember. His love for my parents is so evident in everything that he did. He would rush from St Francis of Assisi after morning mass everyday to buy breakfast for my parents
who live in Simei and then drive back to Boon Lay, doing the monthly grocery shopping and just being the good son that he was above all else.

A lot of you might know this already but my brother was a stickler for detail with an eye for beauty. He was the one who bought the live Christmas tree every year and decorated it himself at home, and it is so true here when I see the beautiful flowers done so lovingly by the wonderful ladies of the flower ministry in Holy Spirit Church over the last few days at the wake for my brother.

Lastly, kindness is something we realise is so intrinsic to his nature, he gave of himself unselfishly to his parishioners, family, friends and even to complete strangers. He did it so quietly and as a matter of fact, that you didn't even see it coming and he never expected a big fanfare or thank you. The legacy he leaves behind is great as can be seen from the mass outpouring of love, care and concern shown to us during this very terrible time we are all going through but I know he is at peace now, smiling down at us and saying let's get a move on, no more tears or we'll be late. I love you and miss you my dearest brother."

No comments: