Sweet Memories

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

An insight to a humble man destined for greatness

This excerpt was taken from an issue of 'Dovetail' during Fr David's early days at Holy Spirit Church in November of 2002.....

"In my school days when I went for catechism classes in IHM, Fr Loiseau asked me if I wanted to be a priest and I told him 'no way' and that was it. After my studies I began working in the airlines and was in a relationship and thinking of marriage. Somehow this did not happen even though this desire to get married was in the minds of both my girlfriend and I. This experience made me close myself up and forget about love if it brings hurt.

My family and friends encouraged me to open up again and to see above all, God's love for me as I am and this is something that helped me to be open to His plan. Every now and then there was this urge to join the priesthood which I dismissed whenever it probed me. This continued for three years and I always dismissed it saying this is not for me.

There were many reasons for evading this call, three come to mind, I was unable to leave my family, my job and my country. But still God was calling me so I asked Him to give me the strength to leave my securities and enter into his will. I submitted my resignation with God's help and never regretted it. I left for a retreat in Rome and then was sent to join a seminary in New Jersey for four years. In 1994 I was transferred to Perth to complete my studies in Notre Dame University.

With God's grace I graduated with a Bachelor in Theology in 1998 and was ordained a deacon that same year. My ordination to the priesthood was in 1999 at IHM. I then returned to Perth and was assigned to the parish of St Jerome's in Spearwood.

I have now been a priest for three years and not regretted a day. It is not a bed of roses, there are joys and difficulties that I feel at the end of the day is a great consolation even in my tiredness and frustrations.

I give thanks to God for this call and most of all I ask Him to keep me faithful in His service and in unrestrained service to you my brothers and sisters in Christ. Please pray for me."

Your loving sister

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss you very much David.The last we spoke was at my dads birthday celebration.I walked you out and thanked you for coming.We hugged and kissed each other as we always did. I told you that I loved you and you said "Family is very important Marie dont ever forget it,love everybody and cherish them.We celebrated christmas this year as one big family and we held you close in all our hearts.I will always pray for you David.I know that God has bigger jobs for you in his kingdom.
From : Marie De Silva & Family

Anonymous said...

I miss you so much Uncle David, the last time i spoke to you was at Grandpa's Birthday. And that was the last time we hugged and shook hands. It was also the last time talking to you.
I will always pray for you.

From your loving nephew
Timothy Thexeira