Sweet Memories

Friday, December 21, 2007

Tribute to a wonderful brother

It has been hard to put my thoughts down as this past few weeks has been a terrible time for all of us. It started with the dreaded call that no one should ever have to get. That your loved one has collapsed in a foreign country and that you have to give consent to operate as a matter of life and death.

This was the hardest decision my mother had to make and we prayed to God to have mercy and to help my brother. It has been a nightmare ever since and we are still trying to come to terms with the loss.

Flying in to Bangkok and seeing someone you love lying helplessly with tubes supporting this big, vibrant man is just something you want to erase from your mind but I can't, it is imprinted in my mind forever, I close my eyes and I see him and you wish you can take the pain and suffering away, you will it away and you pray it will go away and he will open his eyes and smile but it was not meant to be.....it's God's will, he has gone to a better place, God only takes the good ones, we know all that but it just doesn't take the pain away...how to deal with the loss of the dearest brother anyone could have?

It is difficult and we are trying to move on but it will take time, I know this. I will continue to keep my brother's candle burning because that is what he was, a light for may people. He was goodness, kindness, faith, hope and love for everyone he touched with his preachings, his way and his guidance.

Rest now dear brother, your earthly work is done, you are now enjoying the fruits of your labour in heaven and maybe you will smile down at us and ease this pain in our hearts.

Your loving sister.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

It's a great loss for all of us and my condolence goes out to you and your family... We're all praying for you and your family... Stay strong for God has taken your brother into his loving arms... Do not be afraid... When the road seems dark and lonely, always remember that Jesus will never abandon us... He understands how we feel... Seek solace in him and he will give you comfort...

Unknown said...

Dear Christine, Roger and sons,

With your kind permission, I would like to download the photographs for my home, so that we never forget. I am sure in years to come, my kids and wife would like to still remember the man-David who so easily "tamed" me. Many great things came out of David's passing. We came to know each other and appreciated the fragility of life and how we should never take things for granted! I attended "Reconciliation" Service at St. Francis Boon Lay. The Church was not the same for me. However all things considered, the Priest taking over from him has large shoes to fill. We will support the new Priest just as much as we did to David. I find it strange that though I only knew him for a short time, his endearing ways and mannerisms has left a strong imprint in my life. I normally don't take to people easily, but to David it was as though he came from the old country. He has joined the ranks of great people who have gone before us. For that I can only thank his family members for nurturing him that he turned out so great. Often, we fail to realise that we are only a reflection of our parents, siblings and the ones closest to us. In my moments of solitude, I think God sent him to touch my life with the assurance that," all will be okay". My home and family are yours to share, just as much as you shared your brother so unselfishly with us. Our sincerest love and gratitude always.
Colman, Shirley,Naomi,Gerard and Majellan Emmanuel

Florence said...

Dear Christine,
The pain is great and the journey is difficult. We will pray for God’s strength to be with you and your family.
Fr David was faithful in God’s service and had touched many of us in his unrestrained service. Hope to share your brother, Fr David’s strong inspiring words during my treatment: “Humanity is called to joy and a happy life, but every day we experience many forms of pain. In the face of it all we spontaneously wonder: Why do we suffer? Illness and the darker moments of life acquire a profound dimension, even one of Hope. We are never alone with our suffering. Christ, who give meaning to Life is always with us. With Christ everything has meaning. Without Him, nothing can be fully explained, not even the legitimate pleasures of God have joined to the various moments of human life. The sentiments that enable us to undergo our present trials, seeing them as an opportunity to discover God among the shadows and doubts and to glimpse the broad horizons that can only be seen from the height of our daily crosses”….
Each time we looked at the spectacular stained glass panels at Holy Spirit Church, we would remember Fr David’s description of his trip to Milan to view the meticulous process of creating stained glass. He will be remembered always as he shared with us the bible themes of the six glass panels.
Fr David was thoughtful and often gave us encouragement and strength with unspoken words. We missed him dearly too but Fr David would want us to stay strong and as he often stressed that Death is never an End but Beginning to Eternity.

Anonymous said...

Dear Florence,

Thank you, your words really help. I am glad there is a piece of my brother's work in the two parishes that he was posted to. The stained glass at Holy Spirit which he was so proud to tell us about and when we viewed the video he made of his trip, the light in his eyes was so clear to see, his passion and excitement was so palpable we could only marvel at this man who was just a wonderful brother as well as a good priest. The Divine Mercy Icon at St Francis of Assisi is another project that my brother was so proud of and he so believed in the Chaplet of the Divine Mercy. It is through him that I will remember to say this prayer as often as I can. It has brought our family even closer together. I thank God for my brother and for the many wonderful people we have met through him and through this blog.
God bless.
Christine